Temporary Permits

The City of Maplewood issues various business and residential temporary permits that can be used for events and activities throughout the year. Depending on the type of event or activity, multiple permits may be required. 

Temporary permits issued through the Citizen Services department are listed for your convenience. Please refer to the City Code for complete information on each or contact us.

All licensing applications have been transitioned to an online licensing system (Accela) and is available for access via the Citizen Access portal

Guide to using the Citizen Access Portal

Please use the reference guides below to assist you in registering for an account and applying for a license. If you need additional assistance please contact us at 651-249-2005. 

Permit Descriptions

Permit Type Brief Description
Required of any person or business to a temporary amusement park/circus/carnival within the city limits
Upon approval by City Council, a permit may be issued to allow body art event. A permit may be obtained for no more than four events per calendar year, and for no more than four consecutive days per event.
Required to sell any cut evergreen, fir, spruce, or other tree of like kind for what is generally known and described as a Christmas tree from outdoor parking lot locations.
The City of Maplewood is the regulatory authority for food licensing within the City under delegated agreements with the Minnesota Department of Health. With limited exceptions, if food is served at an event that is open to the public a temporary food permit is required.
Required for any person or organization conduct an event with an actual or reasonably anticipated assembly of 500 or more people, whether on public or private property.
Upon approval by the City Council, a permit may be issued to allow temporary lawful gambling activity within the City, excluded or exempt from state licensure requirements by Minnesota Statutes Section 349.166. Local permit requirements are waived if gambling activity is not required to be licensed or registered with the board.
Required for any activity which produces excessive noise between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am Monday through Saturday, and all day Sunday. If the noise generating activity is within 350 square feet of residential properties, signatures of approval from affected residential property owners is required.
Required for temporary on-sale 3.2 malt liquor (beer) sales by a club or charitable, religious, or other nonprofit organization.
Required for temporary on-sale liquor sales by a club or charitable, religious, or other nonprofit organization in existence for at least three years. Permits will allow for consumption on the licensed premises only and in connection with a social event within the city sponsored by the licensee, and may authorize liquor sales on the premises other than premises the licensee owns or permanently occupies. All permit applications should be submitted to the City at least 30 days in advance of the event.
On-Sale Liquor Service - Maplewood Community Center
A permit may be issued to the holder of an on sale wine, 3.2% malt liquor, or intoxicating liquor license issued by the City of Maplewood or a municipality adjacent to the City of Maplewood.
A permit may be issued by a Maplewood On-Sale Intoxicating Liquor license holder to host up to two outside events in a calendar year, not exceeding 96 hours total, which may include the drinking of intoxicating liquor, wine, or 3.2% malt liquor outside, but still on, their licensed premises.
Required for a person or organization to engage in, form or start any parade, race or gathering of 200-500 people within city limits.
Required for any person or business to sell any legal fireworks within city limits. All permit applications must be submitted at least 15 days in advance of the date of the sales or retail display.
Required for a fireworks display conducted by a fair association, amusement park or other public or private organization. All permit applications must be submitted at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display.
Required for any person or business to erect a tent or membrane structure having an area in excess of 200 square feet and/or canopies in excess of 400 square feet.
Transient Merchant Required of a person or business who engages in any temporary or transient business selling goods or services from a set location(s) within the city limits. This is not door-to-door activity commonly referred to as peddler or solicitor (PDF).  Completed Solicitor forms can be emailed to pdrecords@maplewoodmn.gov.