A Massage therapist license is required of any person performing massage therapy, who has received a massage degree or certificate from an institution recognized as accredited through the United States Department of Education. Proof of at least 500 hours of certified therapeutic massage training must be submitted in the form of a certified transcript at the time of application.
Exempt from licensure are massage therapists who works for, or is an employee of, a licensed medical (or dental) professional.
Guidance relating to Massage and Massage Therapists is contained in the Maplewood City Code, Chapter 14, Article XX.
All license holders are required to be familiar with the provisions of this Chapter and with applicable Minnesota Statutes and federal regulations.
Apply for a License
Application for a Massage Therapist license has been transitioned to an online licensing system (Accela) and is available for access via the Citizen Access portal.
The following documents are required to be submitted with this application:
- Certified copy of diploma or certificate of graduation from an accredited institution
- Certified transcript from an accredited institution
- This document must be mailed to the city from the institution; transcripts brought in by the applicant will not be accepted.
- A front-face photograph of the applicant, no less that 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches in size, and taken within the past 30 days
- Each applicant must undergo and pay for a background investigation. An informed consent form will need to be emailed to email@example.com.
Guide to Using the Citizen Access Portal
Please use the reference guides below to assist you in registering for an account and applying for a license. If you need additional assistance please contact us at 651-249-2005.
Expiration / Renewal
License term(s) run September 1 through August 31, annually. Renewal must occur on or before date of expiration.
All license fees can be found on the city's fee schedule.