Motorized Recreational Vehicle

A license is required of any person who owns and operates a recreational motor vehicle on private property, except as allowed by City Code.

Permits shall be applied for and issued to the owner or lessee of the property where the recreational motor vehicle is operated. Applications must be submitted to the office of the city clerk, and will be forwarded to the Public Works Department for inspection. Permit fee is due at the time of application.

Definition of Motorized Recreational Vehicle

For the purposes of this license, a recreational motor vehicle is considered to be the following: fuel-powered, motorized, multi-wheeled or track self-propelled vehicle designed or used for recreational purposes. These vehicles include, but are not limited to:

  • All-terrain vehicles
  • Trail bikes
  • Hovercrafts
  • Motorcycles and motorized bicycles

Please note that snowmobiles, wheelchairs, and golf carts are excluded from this definition, and permit requirements.

Code Requirements

Guidance relating to Recreational Motor Vehicles is contained in the Maplewood City Code, Chapter 36, Article VII. License holders are required to be familiar with the provisions of this chapter, and with applicable Minnesota Statutes and federal regulations.

Application Requirements


No permit shall be issued until the Public Works department inspects the grading plan, if any, for the subject property. The sole purpose of the review is to consider the impact of any proposed grading on:

  • Storm-water drainage or retention
  • Any public or private easements involving public or private utilities, pipelines or similar services on the subject property that the city has notice of in its records

Expiration / Renewal

License terms runs January 1 through December 31, annually. Renewal of this license must occur before the date of expiration.