The City's sign ordinance establishes a comprehensive and impartial system of sign regulations that balances the needs for effective visual communication and a safe, well-maintained, and attractive community.
Sign Permit & Sign Installer License
A sign permit is required for all permanent signs and some temporary signs. In addition, all sign installers (including sign installers who install portable temporary signs) must be licensed by the City of Maplewood. Please contact 651-249-2300 for licensing questions.
- Contractor License Application -
- This application must be submitted with a check for $130.00 and a certificate of insurance (amounts are on the application).
- Mail to 1902 County Road B East or put in a clearly marked envelope in the silver drop box outside the front door at City Hall, 1830 County Rd B East.
- Comprehensive Sign Plan Application (PDF) Needed for:
- Long-term exemptions to banner and window sign ordinance
- Multi-tenant building signs
- Shared signs
- Signs in planned unit developments
- Signs on large campuses
- Sports facility signs in parks
- Wall dynamic display signs
- Dynamic display signs when in conjunction with a permitted institutional use
- Dynamic Sign License Application (PDF) - Needed for new dynamic display signs
- Political Sign Handout (PDF)
- Sign Installer License Application (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Street Classification (PDF) - Needed to determine new freestanding sign size
- Temporary Sign Handout (PDF)