Food Scraps and Yard Waste
Maplewood has a Free Collection Site for Food Scraps (Organics) Recycling!
Maplewood has a new food scraps (organics) recycling collection site located next to the Maplewood Community Center (2100 White Bear Avenue). You can use it anytime! Look for the enclosure on the west side of the parking lot. This site is for residential use only. No businesses please.
Get started by collecting food scraps recycling in four easy steps:
- Visit City Hall to pick up a free starter kit. The starter kit includes a small kitchen caddy, compostable bags and tips for success.
- Fill up your compostable bags with food scraps recycling (no yard waste). See our accepted and not accepted list at .
- Bring it to our collection site for free disposal.
- Grab more bags inside the enclosure (there is a 2 bag limit per week). If the site is out of bags, stop by City Hall to pick up more bags. If you are unable to visit City Hall during business hours to pick up a starter kit, you can get one at any Ramsey County yard waste site (where food waste can also be recycled). .
For more information visit RamseyRecycles.com/OR or call 651-633-EASY (3279), which is answered 24/7.
Back Yard Composting for Food Scraps (Organics) and Yard WasteBack yard composting is easy to do and it gives you a supply of compost, a nutrient-rich organic material that can help improve the soil in your garden. City requirements for back yard compost piles or bins include:
- Small quantities of lawn and garden waste and food
scrapscan be composted. Compostpile or bin cannot be in the front yard. Compostpile or bin must be at least 5 feet from rear or side property lines. Compostpile or bin must not be a nuisance to neighbors due to objectionable odors, vectorof disease, attracting unwanted wildlife or unsightliness.
Compost Bin SaleCompost bins are sold year-round with a pick-up location in Maplewood. The compost bins are $64 plus tax. Ramsey County residents can get an addition $20 off. Order on line at RecycleMinnesota.org and enter promo code "Ramsey" to receive the discounted price. Or call (651) 641-4589 and mention that you are a Ramsey County resident. Then call Ramsey County Environmental Health at (651) 266-1199 to arrange a pick-up time.
Other Yard Waste Disposal Options
Yard Waste Disposal Through the Maplewood Trash Plan: Check out information on the city's yard waste subscription and one-time yard waste pick up in Maplewood's Annual Solid Waste Guide, or contact the city's trash and yard waste contractor, Republic Services, at 651-455-8634.
Yard Waste Disposal Through the Ramsey County Yard Waste Sites: You can also take your yard waste to one of Ramsey County's