Food Scraps & Yard Waste
Food Scrap Recycling
Maplewood's food scrap recycling collection site is located next to the Maplewood Community Center (2100 White Bear Avenue). You can use it anytime! Look for the enclosure on the west side of the parking lot. This site is for residential use only. No businesses please.
Get started by collecting food scraps recycling in four easy steps:
- Visit City Hall to pick up a free starter kit. The starter kit includes a small kitchen caddy, compostable bags and tips for success.
- Fill up your compostable bags with food scraps recycling (no yard waste). See our accepted and not accepted list at RamseyRecycles.com/FoodScraps.
- Bring it to our collection site for free disposal.
- Grab more bags inside the enclosure (there is a 2 bag limit per week). If the site is out of bags, stop by City Hall to pick up more bags. If you are unable to visit City Hall during business hours to pick up a starter kit, you can get one at any Ramsey County yard waste site (where food waste can also be recycled)..
For more information visit RamseyRecycles.com/FoodScraps or call651-633-EASY (3279), which is answered 24/7.
Back Yard Composting for Food Scraps and Yard Waste
Back yard composting is easy to do and it gives you a supply of compost, a nutrient-rich organic material that can help improve the soil in your garden. City requirements for back yard compost piles or bins include:
- Small quantities of lawn and garden waste and food scraps can be composted.
- Compost pile or bin cannot be in the front yard.
- Compost pile or bin must be at least 5 feet from rear or side property lines.
- Compost pile or bin must not be a nuisance to neighbors due to objectionable odors, vector of disease, attracting unwanted wildlife or unsightliness.
Other Yard Waste Disposal Options
Maplewood Trash Plan: Republic Services offers seasonal and one-time pick up of yard waste to residential trash hauling customers. Collection of yard waste once a week from April through November in a 95 gallon yard waste cart costs. Additional details can be found on the City's trash hauling webpage or contact Republic Services at (651) 455-8634.
Ramsey County Yard Waste Sites: Ramsey County residents can dispose of yard waste for free at all Ramsey County yard waste sites.