Recycling & Trash
Announcement - New Trash and Recycling Rates Begin January 2020
After a competetive bidding process for new trash and recycling contracts, the City Council authorized 5-1/2 year contracts with Tennis Sanitation for residential recycling and Republic Services for residential trash and yard waste. The new contracts begin January 1, 2020. Both proposals were ranked highest among the City's main criteria (economics, safety, education, environmental, and qualifications), including the lowest price. Through Maplewood's organized solid waste collection system, the City has been able to help limit greenhouse gas emissions and divert waste from landfills. It's lead to lower prices, reduced truck traffic, and community control over waste management decisions. While Maplewood maintains some of the Twin Cities' lowest recycling and trash rates, residents will see increases in the new contracts due to some factors outside of our control including: 1) discontinuation of the hauler rebate at the Recycling and Energy Center where the trash is disposed; and 2) open market price decline for recycled goods. Follow the recycling and trash links located on the the sidebar to view the new rates.
- Recycling Collection (All Single Family and Multi-Family Homes, Plus Small Businesses and Churches Can Opt Into the Program) Tennis Sanitation, LLC
- More on residential recycling.
- More on the small business and church recycling opt in.
- Trash and Yard Waste Collection (All Single Family Homes, Plus Townhomes and Manufactured Homes Can Opt Into the Program) Republic Services
- More on residential trash and yard waste.
- More on townhome and manufactured home trash opt in.
Maplewood has developed Solid Waste Standards (PDF) for the storage, collection, and transportation of residential solid waste. The goals of the standards are to achieve a reduction in waste generated, to encourage the separation and recovery of materials and energy from waste, and ensure the protection of public health and safety and promote city cleanliness and livability.
Commercial properties can hire any of the city's licensed haulers to collect recycling and trash.