New Construction

If a contractor is constructing the house, the city requires the contractor to be licensed with either the state or the City of Maplewood.


Documentation required when applying for the building permit:

  • Building Permit Application (PDF)
  • Project valuation - Cost of materials and labor
  • Cmplete set of construction plans (including wall section detail) 
  • Certified land survey signed by a registered land surveyor
  • Grading, drainage, and erosion control plan for the site - Grading Permit Application (PDF)
  • Legal description of the property
  • Energy calculations
  • Names of general contractor, masonry contractor and excavator (they must be licensed before a building permit is issued)
  • Engineering documentation on manufactured trusses to be provided and approved by the city before installation
  • Separate permits required for:
    • Electric
    • Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
    • Plumbing
    • Sanitary Sewer

Frame of house under construction