Potholes are created when the pavement, or the material under it, cannot support the weight of the traffic it carries. 

Traffic and water are 2 factors always present in this failure. High volumes of traffic, or traffic that is too heavy for the pavement design, can cause small hairline cracks in the pavement. These cracks can also be caused by age, expansion and contraction due to extremes in daily temperatures. Over time these cracks become larger. 

Water can seep in through the cracks and soften the roadbed. Eventually the roadbed material shifts or oozes outward to the sides of the weakened point, leaving a void. The wheel load of passing vehicles causes the pavement to flex above the void and leads to weakening, more cracking and ultimately collapse.  Cold climates accelerate potholes due to the expansion of freezing water.
Pot Hole

To report a pothole on a city street, please call 651-249-2400 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email the Public Works Department.

 Street Crew

Maplewood’s street crew patches potholes on a regular basis. Many repairs last indefinitely but a permanent patch may fail if the underlying drainage problem is not corrected or the bond between the patch and surrounding pavement was not achieved.
View Maplewood's Pothole Repair Policy for additional information.

When potholes become too large or numerous, partial or complete street reconstruction may be necessary.

Report a Pothole

Roads are maintained by 3 different entities throughout the City of Maplewood:
  • The City of Maplewood
  • Ramsey County Ramsey County Public Works at 651-266-7100 - (Larpenteur Avenue, McKnight Road, White Bear Avenue, A large portion of County Road B, County Road C and a portion of County Road D,& North St Paul Road
  • MnDOT (MN Department of Transportation) - repairs state trunk highways and interstate system, such as I-94 and MN-36. 
If you are unsure of who maintains a roadway, have a look at the map below.  The City of Maplewood maintains the RED lines, Ramsey County maintains the Green lines, and MnDot maintains the Blue lines.  Black lines could be maintained by private contractors or through a mutual aid agreement with the City.  If you have any questions, please call the Public Works Department at 651-249-2400.City Map