Filing for City Office
Eligible individuals desiring to become a candidate for City Council are required to file an affidavit of candidacy with the city clerk. The Mayor and two councilmember positions will be open for filing. The filing period opens on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 and will close at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 5, 2018.
Affidavits of candidacy, filing fee, petitions and affidavits of withdrawal must be presented in person or by mail. Fax documents are not accepted. Below lists the forms and handouts included in the packet handed out to candidates who file at the Office of the City Clerk at Maplewood City Hall:
Forms to be submitted to the City of Maplewood upon completion
- Affidavit of Candidacy - Submit by mail or hand delivery only and received by Maplewood Elections Official between May 22, 2018 and June 5, 2018.
- Candidate Name Pronunciation Guide
- Address of Residence - Use if private data box is checked on Affidavit of Candidacy.
- Affidavit of Withdrawal - Faxed documents are not acceptable.
- Candidate Information Form (Voluntary Disclosure)
- Map Order Form
- Campaign Financial Report Form
- Campaign Financial Report Certificate of Filing
Forms to be submitted to the Secretary of State upon completion
- Accepted Absentee Ballot List Request
- Polling Place List Request
- Precinct Finder Request
- Voter Information Request
- Candidate Schedule
- Campaign Manual
- Attorney General Memo on Auto-Dialing
- Maplewood City Code on Political Campaign Signs
- DOT Letter to Candidates
- IRS Political Organization Filing Requirements
The filing fee of $5, or petition (PDF) in place of the filing fee, must be submitted with the affidavit of candidacy. Petitions in place of the filing fee must contain at least 500 signatures. Petitions may only be signed by persons eligible to vote for the candidate named on the petition.
Candidates may withdraw from the ballot by filing an affidavit of withdrawal at any time during the filing period (May 22nd through June 5th) and through Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 5 p.m. Filing fees are not refundable.
City Clerk's Office
City of Maplewood
1830 County Road B East
Maplewood, MN 55109
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.