Online Activity and Resource Center
Welcome to our Online Activity & Resource Center.
Maplewood Parks and Recreation wants everyone to stay active and engaged during this difficult time. We know everyone is facing a variety of challenges and we are here to help as best we can.
Not only have we been creating fun videos for everyone, we have also compiled a variety of fun, engaging activities and learning resources easily located in one area.
Just a few examples of the things you will find:
- Get info about our new virtual programs and events.
- Come meet the Maplewood Nature Center’s animals.
- Take a virtual visit to one of our nature preserves.
- Maybe your family wants to take a virtual national park tour or find resources for online learning and activities?
- Thinking about starting a garden or running or cycling program but not sure where to start?
- From arts, nature, sports, education, family and hobbies there is sure to be something for everyone.
Thanks for visiting and please check back as new items will be added regularly.
- Explore Maplewood
- Events & Virtual Programs
- Brain Food
- Outdoor Fun
- Sports & Programs
- Virtual Library
- Visit a Maplewood PARK or PRESERVE near you!
- Leave No Trace Learn best practices for using trails and open spaces!
- What Park Wednesday - Visit our Facebook page for a fun contest every Wednesday to name a Maplewood park! Winner drawn at random receives a prize.
- Maplewood Nature Center - Visit for webinars, nature videos and self guiding activities among a whole host of other fun things. Don’t forget about our Facebook and Twitter pages!
- Nature Center YouTube Videos - Get up close and personal with our animals, be a part of the Fur Trade experience, learn about community nature and many more cool videos! Check out Peer into the Pond Activity Kits
- Upcoming Pollinator/Native Plant webinars – more webinars coming soon!
- Maplewood Camera Club - Learn tips and tricks for nature photography with like minded people.
- Friends of Maplewood Nature - Help support nature center projects and programs!
- Pollinators by the Yard Grant- Maplewood residents can get money for planting for pollinators! Learn more!
- June 1 - 21: Explore Maplewood Fitness Explorers Challenge - Register, track your miles, share pictures of your progress with our challenge page. All participants receive a Maplewood Parks & Rec Swag Bag and completion medal!
- June 13: National Get Outdoors Day Golden Frisbee Treasure Hunt - Let our clues be your map to find the hidden Golden Frisbee and to the finders go the spoils (prize)!
- July 1 - 31: Photo Scavenger Hunt - Visit 5 or more of our parks, preserves and open spaces and take a picture at each site. The top voted photo will be featured in the next Parks & Recreation Brochure and you’ll also receive a Parks & Rec Swag Bag!
- July 6 - 26: Explore Maplewood Geo Explorers Challenge - Register, find 8+ geocache sites, share pictures of your discovery with our challenge page. All participants receive a Maplewood Parks & Rec Swag Bag and completion medal!
- Minnesota Zoo – Offering cool at home programming and virtual farm babies!
- Science Museum – Offering Learn from Home and for a limited time OMNI Fest, at home streaming of OMNI/IMAX films, free and rentals available.
- Ramsey County Library - Curbside pickup, virtual story time M & F, and more modified services. No library card? No Problem! They can help get you a temporary account.
- Ranger Rick – Free access to outdoor activities, digital Ranger Rick magazines, animal crafts and much more!
- Hidden Worlds of National Parks - Unbelievable virtual guided tours of some amazing national parks!
- DNR Eagle Cam Great opportunity to view an eagle family in their nest.
- Macaroni Kid - Free at home activities for families,
- AARP Games - Online card games, crosswords, arcade games, and much more. Most are free and available to everyone.
- The Diary of Anne Frank - Clink the link to view an online reading of The Diary of Anne Frank from Park Square Theatre, you are able to view this virtual reading with the cast members until May 15, 2020
- Outdoor Recess Breaks – Kids at home? Our virtual library has some fun ways to break up the day.
- Looking at taking up RUNNING or CYCLING? Click the links for good places to start for beginners.
- Gardening – So you want to start a garden you say? Here are some good sites to get you going.
- Spring Nature Bingo- Download the nature bingo card from the Maplewood Nature Center and challenge your family to a game of nature bingo.
- Pick up your own pond activity kit! Register here and watch this cool video to learn more.
- Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt - Get out and explore your neighborhood in a fun way!
- Create Your Own Fairy Garden – A fairy garden can be a fun, peaceful project that lets you unleash your inner creativity. There are tons of fun examples for you to get started.
Visit our virtual library for quick videos of drills for the following sports to do at home.
Other resources to keep progressing in your sport of choice.
- Soccer - Online Soccer Academy - YouTube videos for all skill levels
- Basketball - Jr NBA at Home - Videos from NBA stars teaching basketball drills for all ages and skill levels
PE @ Home Learning Resources w/ Gopher Sport - Lots of PE resources for your at home kiddos!
Visit our virtual library for a whole host of fun and educational videos.
- Rec@Home Videos - Recess Breaks, Fun Challenges, Sports Skills
- Nature Center Videos – Animal Encounters and Educational Videos
- Preserve Videos - Virtually visit some of Maplewood’s preserves
- Art and Craft Videos – Do you dare be an at home art teacher?